Community Legal Aid (CLA) and the Central West Justice Center (CWJC) help residents of central and western Massachusetts with civil (non-criminal) legal issues. Qualifying for legal help in most cases depends on your income and assets and age. You will be asked about your income and assets, but if you are an elder, or seeking help with a legal problem because you are a victim of a crime or a survivor of a victim of homicide, your income and assets will not disqualify you from getting help. Getting help also depends on the type of legal problem you have.
Before you apply for help, go to Massachusetts Legal Resource Finder to find out if CLA or CWJC handles your type of legal issue.
- By clicking APPLY NOW below, you will be taken to our on line application. The application asks you questions and sends your answers securely to us. The application can take up to 10 minutes to complete.
- Make sure you have this information before you start:
- Sources of all income in your household, including you and everyone who lives with you, and the amount each person gets each week or month from each source.
- Amount of money in the bank accounts of each household member
- The name of the person, business or agency causing your legal problem
- Dates of any hearings or deadlines (if any). These dates may appear on notices, letters or court papers.
- Due to limited resources, CLA and CWJC is not able to help everyone who applies. Our services are targeted to problems that affect basic needs such as housing, income, education, medical care and family safety.
- It can take up to three business days to review your application. If you have a deadline that is less than seven days from today, you should call and complete your application over the phone.
- After we review your application, we will contact you by telephone, email or letter.
- If we cannot help you or you are unhappy with the legal assistance we provide, you may file a complaint [pdf].
You can also send a check made out to Community Legal Aid, Inc. to:
Community Legal Aid
405 Main Street,
Worcester, MA 01608
If you have any questions about making a gift to Community Legal Aid,
please call our Development Director:
at 413-727-7115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not apply online if:
- You know or suspect that CLA may already be representing the other side in your case. Call us on the telephone.
- You have already applied for help for this problem. Call us on the telephone.
- You are concerned that the computer you are using may not be secure, and there is a risk that someone else may find out you have contacted legal services for help. Be aware that not all computers are secure. If you use a computer shared by others, they may be able to find out that you have applied online for legal help. Instead, call us on the telephone.